Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Summer's Over?

I hope everyone had a great Summertime. Mine was busy, with kids out of school and more, "away from home activities", than usual. Posting just got away from me.

However, a lot of things have been going on in the studio this Fall. I'm finally getting the walls sheetrocked and painted! I've been working in a room with only insulation on the walls for the last 7 years! I've been making bags all the while this is going on. Coordinating around dust and work has been interesting. But, the holiday season is here and I can't stop know!

On my list this year are Large Patchwork Knitting Bags.

This is what I like to do with all my leftover pieces of fabric. What's more fun than to make more fabric from fabric! More fabric for more bags! Waste not, want not. Right?

I save all the pieces of material that are too small to use while I'm making other bags. I wait until I have a small mountain of scraps in a large basket. Then, when I can't let the pile get any bigger, I attack it with a rotary cutter/mat until I have an equally large mountain of miscellaneous squares. (This can take days and a great therapeutic activity.)

After I cut up all the squares, I sort them all into groups of color. After that comes the fun part, where I choose and layout enough pieces to make a patchwork for one large knitting bag. I sew all the squares together, cut out the pattern with some more coordinating fabrics and throw it all into a bag, so I can place it in my "large knitting bags" pile to sew up later. Customers love them and so do I!

I'll try to keep you posted when I have them available in my Etsy store.

Gosh I hope I can get through Halloween with a minimal amount of work. :) toodles!


No comments: